Friday, October 7, 2016

A Displaced Calfiornian

     In January of 1848, history would be forever altered.  Gold was discovered in Coloma, California.  From then on, California would become a place of destiny.  Of dreams.  Of hopes.  Of triumph. Innumerable lives have been lived in California.  It has seen love and loss, victory and failure, joy and tears.


  
     Since the 1960's, California has been the most populated state in the nation.  I imagine this will cease to be true, considering the rate at which people are moving out.  So many of my friends and family have left in the last decade, mostly for places such as Idaho, Utah, and Texas.  I never thought I would join the ranks of displaced Californians.   God had other plans in mind. 
    It has been two months today since my husband Walter and I left the Golden State to follow God's clear leading to South Dakota.  We had a wonderful trip, stopping in many places we wanted to see, and visiting with friends and relatives on the way.  A highlight was stopping at four-corners (where Arizona, Utah, New Mexico and Colorado meet).  I had wanted to go there since I was nine!  A place Walter really wanted to visit was Las Vegas, New Mexico (not Nevada).  I fell it love with the town once we arrived.  Perhaps sometime in the future, the Lord will call us there!  Until then, we are acclimating to South Dakota.
     I am really enjoying many things about our new home.  Though this blog won't usually be about comparing California to the Midwest (because, really, we are the same country and the differences are very insignificant).  However, in just this first entry, I would like to highlight a few things I have found, just for fun. 
     Terminology:  Californians call soft drinks "soda" while Midwesterners call it "pop". 
                             Californians tend to call their waste "trash" while out here, people say "garbage"
                             Californians call major highways "freeways" while here, they say "interstate"
     Politics:  Let's jus say I moved from a Conservative part of a Liberal state to the Liberal part of a Conservative state.

     Food:  Californians, by far, have better Mexican food.  The Mexican food we've had here is not very good at all.  We've probably been spoiled, though.  However, we have discovered meat in a new way in the Midwest, from their fried chicken to pork tenderloins (of course they have these things in California, but they are better here!). 

     Prices:  South Dakota is incredibly less expensive than California, which is a blessing to us!  For our two-bedroom apartment, we are currently paying a few hundred less than I paid twelve years ago for a one-bedroom in Riverside, CA. 
    
     Dialect:  Some people here sound just like I think I do, but many have a more nasal pronunciation.  Some sound almost musical when they talk.  We wonder if we'll pick up this north-central accent while we're here.

     Weather:  So far, so good, but I know winter will be a change for us!  Thankfully, we lived in Lake Arrowhead, California before moving here, so we have experienced ice and snow.  Right now it is slightly, but not significantly, more humid than California (side note, though:  California is dry compared to the Midwest, but is actually one of the more humid western states). 

Similarities:  Both states have kind people.  I truly don't see any difference in the people at all.  I am loving our church and the women's Bible Study, just as I did in California.  No real difference there. 

     Why start a blog about ministry perspectives on state comparisons?  Well, as someone who was active in ministry in California, I am excited to see the ways God will have me serve here.  Please continue to read my blog.  I will be sharing some very interesting, previously unshared missionary experiences.  At very least, they will make for entertaining reading.  At most, they can encourage and help. 
  
     Blessings to all my Californian and Midwestern friends (and my friends in other places besides!).

No comments:

Post a Comment