Sunday, November 4, 2018

Live from the Lion's Den


     I debated on whether to entitle this post Live from the Fiery Furnace or Live from the Lion’s Den, eventually settling on the latter.  Either would fit, though, as God has taught me so much from both of these Bible stories, which happen to fall only three chapters from each other in the book of Daniel. 

            This is an account of what God is teaching me in the midst of a trial I find myself in.  I'm hoping to put it into a book eventually, but this is the basic idea.  I will write as much as I can, but will conclude it after God’s deliverance comes.  Right now, I live in faith of that deliverance, and in joy of God’s presence right now.
 
            Here is the lion’s den I’m in right now (and before I continue, I want to make it clear that there are certain details I'm not sharing.  There are also certain people who are blocked from being able to see this).  My husband Walter and I just moved from South Dakota to New Mexico.  We went from having a close-knit church family, ministries, friends, and pleasant jobs to a very different situation.  This move was a leap of faith, and in spite of how it appears right now, I still believe God led us. 

            My husband got into the graduate program for political science.  It is in his heart to pursue this subject, in order to be a Christian voice in the political arena.  We don't know what all that will look like, but it has been on his heart for a long time.  He has been pursuing it for years, being met with many obstacles.  He was excited to get into the program here in Albuquerque.  On top of that, I got hired by the University.  I work at the preschool associated with the University.  Being a University employee has enabled my husband to get in-state tuition and even discounts on that.  It also gives us a good medical insurance policy.  We live in Student Family Housing.  So far, it sounds really good. 

            Here’s the problem.  We don’t know the whole story yet, so please take what I’m about to share as my vantage point.  There is an intense spiritual battle going on at the University.  Some unchristian agendas are being pushed, even in the preschool with the young children.  It’s very sad, and very scary.  Both Walter and I are running into it in our sphere of influence.  And even though neither of us has openly stood up and opposed it, we are being singled out by those pushing the agendas.  They are very hard on us.  I don’t say that in a martyr sense.  This is really happening.  Whenever I walk onto campus, I feel a deep sense of oppression.  

     Some years ago, I had an experience of deep spiritual warfare that led me into direct contact with demons.  I saw one with my own eyes as I ministered to someone who had given their life to Satan.  I don’t really like to share that.  It sounds crazy.  I’ve known people who see demons behind every problem.  Everything is the devil’s fault.  I don’t want to be that way, or sound as if I’m that way.  But I truly did have that encounter several years ago in ministry.  In that experience, I saw the authority I and all other believers have, and the power the Blood of Jesus has over all evil.  Having said all of that, being at my job is like an eight-hour day of being around those demons.  The oppression is the same.  From a human point of view, I am being shown contempt by the authority figures.  It is frustrating.  But it isn’t just people issues.  The battle is spiritual.  The oppression there is so much worse than the human side of it.  Ephesians 6 tells us that we don’t battle with flesh and blood, but with spiritual forces of wickedness.  That’s what’s going on.  There is a system that is contrary to God.  But the people are not my enemies.  In fact, rude and nasty as they are, I’m not mad at any of them.  I’m not struggling with hatred or even resentment.  I just don’t want to be there.  But I pray and hope the very best for every one of their lives.  That is the grace of God at work, because on my own, I can be quite resentful.

            On my husband’s end, he is getting grief from professors for his biblical worldview.  Some other distractions beyond our control also put him a little behind, and he is struggling to catch up.

            We feel insecure in this position.  We don’t know if it will work out in the long term, and if not, we don’t know where God will lead us next, or what His purpose will have been for us being here now.  We pray together nightly for about an hour, meditating on scriptures.  It is a hard time right now, and we need God’s answers.

            All day at work, I’m ready to pray.  It’s the only way to stay sane amidst the battle.  My favorite time of day is when the children nap.  The lights are low.  Soft music plays, and we basically just rub their backs until they fall asleep, then just do quite tasks in the classroom.  It is the perfect time to pour out my heart to God, and I pray for every child and staff member, as well as beg God for deliverance.  Sometimes I pray for other people and things God lays on my heart as well.

            We had a lot of trouble finding a church to plug into out here.  We have started getting involved in one, and are loving much about it, but (long story) we are questioning if the Lord is leading us to attend elsewhere.  We feel very unsettled.  That’s hard.  We miss the support of our church in South Dakota.

            When I saw how hard things were at this job, I immediately thought of ways to rescue myself.  I looked into other jobs and ministry positions around town.  I considered other ways to make money (such as really pushing my writing).  But none of it has yielded very many results.  I’m in a lion’s den, and I can’t get myself out.

            That’s when the good news came to me.  I don’t have to get myself out.  God will do that in His time.  Deliverance will come, as it did for Daniel in the Old Testament.  As I read about Daniel in the lion’s den, I see someone who had been faithful for decades.  When this all happened, he had simply been going about his business.  He wasn’t doing some major ministry.  He was working a secular job, like I am right now.  There was that battle going on around him.  There is no indication from scripture that Daniel tried to resist those who threw him into the lion’s den, or that he tried to find a way to climb out.  He didn’t try to rescue himself.  He let God do it.  God sent His angel to shut the lion’s mouths. 

            I see a similar pattern a few chapters earlier in the story of the fiery furnace.  Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego didn’t fight those who threw them into the furnace, nor did they try to run out.  They were in there with Jesus, perfectly safe!  Only when Nebuchadnezzar called them out did they step out. 

            God used this to show me that I can’t save myself from this lion’s den.  I’m to sit back and let God shut the lion’s mouths, then deliver me.

            I’m not saying it is in any way sinful to try to find a better job situation.  I just don’t believe God is calling me to do that right now.  I don’t know what’s going to happen, but it will be for His glory.  We are just hanging on.
 
            No matter what happens, Romans 8:28 remains true.  All things work together for those who love God and are called according to His purpose.  He has good plans for us.  Please keep us in prayer, and thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment