Saturday, April 25, 2020

What Defines You?

    It has been a tough time for everyone on the planet.  We are facing a worldwide pandemic, such as none of us has seen.  Some people are largely unaffected, and I am happy for them.  The rest of us have had to adjust things in our lives in some way.  My husband has lost his job because of it (the company closed down permanently).  Getting unemployment has proven just about impossible, and we are still awaiting our stimulus check.  We have no idea what the future will hold, or how God is going to make this all come together for us--or for anyone. The only thing I can cling to is First Peter 1:7, so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ;  God is working in all of us, even if we don't know the reason.  

     In the midst of all of this, a very good friend and ministry co-worker of mine was murdered almost two weeks ago. Her death was the first homicide to take place in Sioux City, Iowa this year.  Lisa Belk served with Child Evangelism Fellowship of Iowa.  I was blessed to get to work with her in ministry when we lived up that way.  I didn't get to know or work with her as many years as some, but the time we shared was priceless.  She was pleasant, fun, and very quick to move on from difficulties with a good attitude.  I always felt we were on the same page when we'd talk about ministry, or just Christian life in general.  Lisa was willing to bend over backwards to get the gospel to children.  She wasn't afraid to be silly, or speak out in difficult situations, if it meant the truth would go out.  

Summer Ministry team, 2018,   I'm standing second from the left.  Lisa is seated in front and slightly to the side of me.
On our way back from camp, we stopped at Subway in the middle of Iowa.  Lisa is seated with one of our teens.

     I was able to watch her funeral online today, and what struck me more than anything was the way her life was defined by the gospel.  Sometimes, I feel insecure and hide behind things like accomplishments, what others think of me, or what I consider to be my strengths.  But those things shouldn't define me.  They can't.  God planned so much more than that for us.  Lisa saw that.


     The Apostle Paul said it well when he said in Acts 20:24, But I do not consider my life of any account as dear to myself, so that I may finish my course and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify solemnly of the gospel of the grace of God.  His whole life was to share the gospel.  He said in Galatians 6:14, But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. He saw nothing to boast of--in other words, nothing to define him--except the cross of Christ.  That was his identity.  As Christians, we aren't who we used to be.  God has given us a new identity.  Second Corinthians 5:17 says, Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.  In our lives, we should be seen (and see ourselves) as God's children, people who preach the gospel of Christ, and look for every opportunity to represent Him to others.  


     I feel Lisa exemplified these truths.  In recent weeks, in the midst of everyone's faith being tested, I have felt the Lord leading me to write a book.  Since Lisa passed away as I was finishing it, I have dedicated this new book to Lisa.  It is entitled, Reckless Surrender.  It is currently available from Amazon on kindle (click here) or paperback (click here) .  Watch for upcoming giveaways!  

No comments:

Post a Comment