Friday, September 13, 2024

Politics and Religion

      A list of stagecoach etiquette from the Omaha Herald in 1877 includes: Don't discuss politics or religion...  This should illustrate that the idea of avoiding these subjects isn't new.  And yet where has this avoidance led?  Some say that it has led to an inability to have a frank but polite discussion of either.  

     Even Christians get in on this avoidance at times.  While most of us are eager to share Christ and discuss our faith, we still often avoid politics.  When I was growing up, my parents refused to have signs or bumper stickers espousing political candidates or issues, because they only wanted to be known as Christians, not for their political views.  I don't disagree.  Above all, Christians should stand for Christ, for He is all we have in the end.  And there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things were created, and through whom we live. (First Corinthians 8:6).  

     The level to which we become politically involved is dependent on God's leading.  However, I find a lot of Christians almost spiritualize being politically uninterested.  Some say, "Both sides are bad," or, "It's the lesser of two evils."  If a person who makes a statement like this can honestly articulate what is evil about both sides, I respect their integrity, even if I don't necessarily agree.  However, very few can actually really explain it, but are only parroting the general consensus who are sick of politics and want to just demonize everyone.  

     I have seen churches with marquee signs (during this election cycle) that say things like, "Jesus will still be Lord after this election," or "Jesus is greater than the elephant and the donkey."  Are these statements true?  Absolutely!  100%.  But they also lead me to wonder if people realize how high the stakes are.  Yes, Jesus is and will forever be Lord, but what happens in this election may affect our freedom to proclaim His truth in future generations.  I feel some of these statements, while completely true, come off as trite.  It's as if they're saying, "Hey, whoever wins the Super Bowl, Jesus is still Lord, so let's not allow it to divide us!"  This is a little more serious than football.  

     I think it is possible to be kind and charitable to people of all political viewpoints.  We can treat anyone with the love of Christ and basic Christian charity.  As far as close friendships go, though, there can be a little difference.  The way someone votes is rooted in the convictions they hold.  If someone holds very different convictions than you about things you consider important, you can still love them, but that might hinder closeness.  Only you can determine that.  Don't get me wrong, we can be close friends with people who disagree with us.  Agree to disagree.  But there are limits to how close we can be when we disagree about significant things.  There are often some deeply-held convictions behind why someone holds the views they do, and that deserves respect, even if we disagree.  Respect notwithstanding, though, it doesn't always warrant closeness.  

     I remember my first election to vote in was the 2000 primary, Super Tuesday.  That November, I voted in the Presidential General Election.  It was exciting to be a young college student doing this.  I had wanted to vote for years, and had always known 2000 would be my first election.  I won't directly tell you who I voted for (cough cough--George W. Bush), but my candidate won.  I voted for him again four years later, and he won again (not to imply my vote alone did it).

Al Gore and George W. Bush in 2000

     When I first started voting, the election was between then-Vice President Al Gore and George W. Bush.  A lot of my friends (also first-time voters) said, "I don't vote for a Party, I vote for the person."  That all sounds good, and maybe it worked back then.  But things have come too far now to say that.  If someone is backed by a Party, we need to look at that Party's platform.  What does that Party endorse?  Can we get behind it?  If so, then vote for the candidate.  If not, then don't.  For example, if we were still living in pre-Civil War America, and there was a candidate who supported slavery, and yet also stood for a lot of good things, and was known as being honest, and faithful to his wife, would you vote for him?  Hopefully not.  The evil of slavery should outweigh all these other good qualities when it comes to electing a leader.  Both of our candidates in 2024 have had character flaws come out at different times in their lives.  I'm not interested.  I'm interested in what they want to do with our country--with me, and all I hold dear.  I feel many people who vote for the person instead of the real issues need to heed Jesus' words in Matthew 23:23, [you] have omitted the weightier matters of the law: judgment, mercy, and faith...  Don't omit the weightier matters because you like a candidate's personality, culture, skin color, or sex, or even some smaller issues you agree with them on.  Vote the real issues that protect lives and freedom to live as God intended.  

     My favorite Bible teacher on YouTube, Allen Parr did an excellent video entitled, Should Christians vote Democrat or Republican?  I'll put the link to it at the end.  In this video, he examines both Party Platforms.  Allen is African-American, and I really valued his perspective.  Like me, he refused to examine the candidates' characters, but instead looked at the Party Platforms.  He pointed out that both parties have some aspects we could argue that have Christian ideas within them. He says a lot in this video, and I won't steal his thunder, but ultimately, he says that we shouldn't ask, "Which Party is more Christian?" but rather, "Which is more unChristian?"  

Allen Parr, an excellent Bible teacher

      Also worth noting, there are more than two parties.  In our state's last gubernatorial election in 2022, my husband and I voted for the Libertarian Candidate, both for governor and congress, because both of those candidates in our Party were questionable to us, and we had seen them both act in ways inconsistent with what our Party stands for.  Those in our Party ended up winning in both cases, without our vote.  In those cases, we could agree with the Libertarians on the "weightier matters."  Look up all the Party Platforms, and be informed when you vote.

     Once upon a time, even in my adulthood, those with different political affiliations could politely agree to disagree.  In a way, we still can, but the stakes are high, and different votes reveal different beliefs and values, different desires for the direction of our nation.  I choose to vote for a country with religious liberty, limited government, personal responsibility, the right to life, equality of opportunity (not equality of outcome, as that is one's own personal responsibility), fair and low taxes, and freedom to live as God has seen fit.  

     Yes, Jesus will still be Lord, regardless of how this election pans out.  One day, everyone--including our leaders, will declare that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the Glory of God the Father.  (Philippians 2:11).  But that shouldn't be a catch-all phrase to keep us from doing our duty as good Americans to vote with integrity.

     You can watch Allen Parr's excellent video here.

No comments:

Post a Comment