Saturday, August 26, 2017

Humble


    The summer of 1997 was a turning point in my life.  That was the first year I was a summer missionary with Christian Youth in Action.  It literally altered the course of my life forever.  My heart and confidence were built up.  I began to see the ways God could use me.  A whole new world was opened up to me!
     Christian Youth in Action (CYIA) was held at California Baptist College (now California Baptist University), in my home area of Riverside County, California.  I literally remember every single detail of every single moment from that summer.  In my mind's eye, I can see everyone exactly as they were.  The boys with their 90's "curtained" haircuts.  The girls in their bell bottoms (late 90's was mostly 70's styles revisited).  Everyone in their Christian T-shirts (many with Veggie Tales).  But, of course, when we were out teaching 5-day clubs, we all wore our Sunday best.  
     I can hear their voices, laughing, talking, lifted up in praise to the Lord, practicing evangelism on each other.  I can smell the scents of summer all around me. During CYIA, we had three earthquakes, and I can still feel them (even though I have experienced many earthquakes since that summer of 1997).  
     If I were a prisoner of war, I could replay that summer again and again in my mind.  Relive it minute by minute.     
     Everyone that summer was so wonderful.  The youth my age were true friends, and the adults were mentors.  It was a "prelude to Heaven" experience.  
     One group of students who served that year came from a church in Santa Barbara, California.  There was something very special about them, and for years I could never put my finger on it.  Most of them had never served with CYIA before, so they were first-timers, as I was.  They had come together in a church bus.  I felt oddly drawn to this group.  One friend I made who was from the Santa Barbara group was a girl my age I'll call Amy.  
     I was at a point in my life where I needed encouragement (the why behind that is another story).  Everyone at CYIA was used of God to meet that need in my heart, but especially Amy.  Amy was soft-spoken and reserved.  She talked in a gentle voice, and always had a kind word for everyone.  Her smile could light up any room she was in, though when I pointed this out, she was surprised, saying she considered herself to be plain.   
     There is a biblical parallel to that summer.  In First Kings chapter 19, Elijah was at the end of his spiritual rope.  Queen Jezebel wanted to kill him.  He was fleeing for his life, and at the height of his discouragement, he wanted to die.  God sent an angel to give him food, and it says that Elijah traveled on the strength of that food for forty days.  That's how the summer of 1997 was for me.  I moved forward on the strength of it.  I came defeated, and left in victory.  Everything I did after that had a deep sense of joy.  Sometimes I still think that summer influences me.  I kept in touch with my encouraging new friends.  I still have a scrapbook with all their letters.  Amy and I wrote back and forth for years.  She never returned to CYIA (I returned in 1998 and 1999).  Amy got more involved with mission trips her church youth group did, but we still wrote back and forth.  
     When I think about that summer, I ask myself what made everyone there stand out?  The answer is that they were given completely to the Lord.  What made the Santa Barbara group especially unique?  What made them appeal to me?  What made Amy in particular seem like a good friend?  What was it?  
     The answer is one simple word.  Humble.  These people were all humble.  Humility, even among Christians, is a rare find.  When I meet truly humble people, I desire their friendship.  Maybe, on an even deeper level, humble people reflect Jesus to me.  Philippians 2:8 says that Jesus "humbled himself" and became obedient to death.  
     Humility isn't putting oneself down.  Sometimes, I think a really negative self-concept is inverted arrogance.  Humility also isn't a personality trait.  It is something God has to create in us as we become more like Jesus.  That's what I want.  I hope I am as refreshing to someone who needs encouragement as Amy was to me in 1997.  I am a work in progress, but God is working it out in me, and in you!

No comments:

Post a Comment