Saturday, August 11, 2018

All I Need

     Do you ever feel intimidated in witnessing situations?  Like maybe you're not adequate to reach certain people?  Maybe you need more training, etc?  I know I feel that way often.  I ask myself, "What if they ask such-and-such a question and won't accept my answer?" or "What if I offend them?"

     There are so many challenges in witnessing.  There are your average people to witness to.  People whose lives and culture are similar to yours.  These people are usually the easiest to witness to, because you share common ground with them.  For me, these people are the "All American" types.  People who work an honest job, enjoy life as they can, have some semblance of a Judaeo-Christian worldview, and are generally nice people.  These are the people I feel most comfortable witnessing to.  But not everyone fits this description, and yet those outside of that still need Jesus.  Am I equipped to reach them with the gospel?  I haven't always thought so.  

     Reaching those in a different lifestyle or culture can be intimidating, but it is very possible.  Until recently, I would freeze up if I saw a Muslim, or someone clearly caught up in the LGBT community.  I didn't think I had the answers for them.  I would be kind, but didn't try to share the gospel.  This all changed at a thrift store.

     My husband and I just moved from South Dakota to New Mexico.  We needed some things upon arrival (a new bookshelf for one), and decided to check out local thrift stores.  One of them ended up being a weird experience.  We found what we needed, at excellent prices.  But the workers were beyond what we bargained for.  

     We were greeted by a person (I thought it was a woman at first, but turned out to be a man) wearing make-up, sexy female clothes, perfectly shaved legs, and--to top it off--cat ears.  He talked to us in an odd voice that shook me to the core of my being.  The other workers in this store were also odd-looking and behaving, but a little less dramatic than this first person.  The most average-looking was a girl with a name badge that just said, "They/Them."  I asked her about it, and she replied, "Those are my pronouns.  I'm neither male nor female."  Clearly, this person was a female, but was choosing not to refer to herself that way.  I had no answer, but continued the business transaction kindly and pleasantly.  As we were leaving, we saw a sign on the wall that said it was a transgender store and hired transgender employees and gave money to help transgender causes.  We would never have given business to them if we had seen this before paying, because we believe that is against God's will.  But we believe God wanted us to go in there this once. Our spirits felt very heavy upon leaving.  These people are beloved by a God who crated them, but they are caught up in a lie.  We have been praying for them ever since.  Walter has especially felt burdened for the man dressed like a female and a cat.  

     I left that situation feeling totally intimidated about witnessing to these people.  Our twisted society has made it all but illegal to share the truth of the Bible with the LGBT community.  Everything they do is to be seen as beautiful and acceptable, and if you even remotely question this, you are hateful.  Walter and I feel nothing but love for the people at this thrift shop.  We want to see them freed from the bondage of sin.  

     Many people feel that the only way to reach people in different lifestyles (be it LGBT, some Eastern religion, or something else) is to act like it's all wonderful and beautiful.  I get very tired of the "don't judge" mantra everyone is saying today, acting like Christians are the problem (even fellow believers sometimes get into this blaming of Christians).  As Bible-beleivers, we are to "rightly divide the word of truth" (Second Timothy 2:15).  What does the word of God say?

     It says God created male and female (Genesis 1:27), so if we are to believe the Bible, we have to conclude that it is impossible to be neither.  The Bible says God is perfect and makes no mistakes.  (Numbers 23:19, Second Samuel 22:31).  Again, if we are to believe the Bible, we must conclude that it is not God's will, or even really possible to change genders.  There are only two genders, male and female, and God determined our gender at our conception.  So, these people at the thrift shop are clearly not operating in God's design for their lives.  God loves them and has so much better for them.  They need to be reached with the truth of the gospel.  I can't let their lifestyle intimidate me.  I need to be ready to give the gospel, and see the opportunities our Sovereign God sets up for me.  First Peter 3:15 says to be ready to give an answer for the hope within us, with fear and meekness.  That's the answer right there.  No matter who a person is, what they are doing, I need to be ready with the gospel.  I need to share it humbly.  I don't have to have all political or scientific arguments about their lifestyle.  I don't have to be an expert on their religion.  All I need is the same thing I need when sharing the gospel with people of my own lifestyle/culture:  The Bible and the Holy Spirit.  Check, and check!  If they reject it or get offended, that is not my fault.  That is between them and God.  In the Bible, many prophets were sent to those who rejected their message.  It wasn't the prophet's fault.  I need to be faithful with the gospel, and the truth of the Bible.  With the help of the Holy Spirit, I can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment