Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Hard-Fought Victory

     Ever work incredibly hard, amidst great challenges, and wonder why?  Why bother?  What good am I doing?  I've faced that recently.  You may have read my March 22 post "Tightrope."  I'll summarize, but I still encourage you to read the whole story.


     I teach fifth grade at a small Christian school.  One of my students is being raised by a mostly irreligious mother and strongly influenced by Mormon friends.  He attends the Mormon Church more than anywhere.  And yet he also attends our Evangelical Christian School.  His mother has taught him that all religious are the same and equally valid as far as God is concerned.  This boy has also been very vocal in opposing me during Bible.  He has been a very verbal fan of Adolf Hitler, and also of Mormonism.  He wrote a very disrespectful essay about me as his teacher.


     You know what they say, things get worse before they get better.  During the course of Bible one day, he spoke out defiantly, "I think I'd kind of like to go to hell, because you could roast marshmallows on the fire there."  The other kids all gasped at his impertinence.  I gently told him what the Bible says about hell.  Second Thessalonians 1:9 says that those in hell will be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord.  I explained that all good things (including marshmallows) are gifts from God (James 1:17).  So to be away from God's presence means torment and pain for eternity with no relief.  Nothing to look forward to.  No joy.  No goodness.  I told him that the unsaved, ultimately, are thrown into a lake of fire for all eternity.  He grew quiet at this.  I had no idea what was getting through.  He has said many times that God is mean to make people go to hell.  I have pointed out again that God didn't create hell for people, but for Satan and his followers.  Our sin separates from a Holy God, but God made an escape from hell by sending Jesus.  God wants everyone to turn from their sin and embrace Christ.  Second Peter 3:9 says that God is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.  I explained, though, that the choice is ours.  I let that simmer.

     We had been reading many missionary biographies.  Most recently, we read about Jim Elliot, who was martyred in Ecuador in 1956 while trying to reach the violent Auca Indian tribe with the gospel.  Because of his witness and legacy, the Auca tribe are now largely Christian, including the man who speared him. The Aucas are now referred to the Waodani, meaning "true people."
Jim Elliot
     As we read Jim Elliot's exciting biography, the class had no idea how the story ended for Jim.  They were convinced he was going to see the Aucas receive Christ and live happily ever after.  When we reached the end, and how Jim and his four companions gave their lives in trying to reach these people, and how their wives remained and shared the gospel with them later, there wasn't a dry eye in the classroom.  This boy who wanted to go to hell looked very serious and said, "I think I want to be a missionary like Jim Elliot."

     The next day, he came into class with an entirely different frame of mind.  He was quiet, thoughtful, respectful and humble.  I thought, "He's planning his next attack."  But I was wrong...and glad to be.  About halfway through the day, he raised his hand.

     "Yes?"

     "Can I share something with the class?"

     I was half-concerned it would be more Hitler "fun facts" or espousing Mormonism.  But his whole new attitude was curious, so I said yes.  He stood up.

     "I didn't believe in Jesus before.  Even though I prayed a prayer a long time ago, I didn't mean it.  But now I do.  Last night, I was thinking about Jesus at home, and I realized that I do want Him as my Savior, so I asked Him to come into my heart--for real this time."


     Everyone in the class broke into applause.  He wrote the date of his salvation on the inside cover of his Bible.  April 11, 2019.  Even though it has been a little less than a week, I have seen tremendous change.  He has continued being sweet and respectful to everyone.  He hasn't brought up Hitler or anything else controversial.  During Bible time, he sides with God's people, instead of the enemies.  He used to not care about his grads, or even try.  But this week, he got an A on a math test (he used to get F's and not care).  
     When I see this miracle--this hard-fought victory--taking place before my eyes, I'm reminded of WHY.  Why I'm in this battle.  Why all believers are in it.  Because they're worth it.  All human life is worth saving.  Jesus settled that on the cross.  I am so thankful all of my students are now on their way to Heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment