Saturday, September 28, 2019

Rapture

     "We're closer to the rapture than anytime in the history of the world!" My pastor excitedly exclaimed.  I was eighteen years old, and kind of laughed at the obviousness of his statement.  Every second, it gets closer, I thought.  Our pastor weekly preached about the rapture.  In fact, in his altar calls and witnessing, he didn't ask, "If you were to die right now, do you know for sure you'd go to heaven?" Instead, he would ask, "If the Rapture happened right now, would you be taken or left behind?"  He believed the Rapture was more imminent than death.  And because he believed it, so did we.  I was going to community college at the time.  Most of my classmates there were not believers.  This gave me a lot of witnessing opportunities.  One particular friend didn't have a drivers license, and would always need a lift home.  More often than not, I was the one who drove her.  I had shared the gospel with her, but she had shown very little interest.  I was almost afraid to drive her in my car.   I was so convinced the Rapture was about to happen.  If it did, I would disappear from earth and be in heaven.  The car would keep going until it hit another vehicle.  Likely, there would be a multi-car pileup. This unsaved friend would be involved in the ensuing crash, possibly dying.  This would cause her to go immediately to hell, and not have a chance to be saved in the tribulation.  Every time I drove her home, I would silently pray, "Lord, please give me ten minutes to get her home, then You can rapture us if you want."  Pretty funny, me thinking I can tell God to postpone the Rapture!  
Image result for car pileup
     What is the Rapture?  The English word rapture doesn't appear in scripture, but Lee Brainard explains in his article The Word Rapture Does Appear in the Bible? (September 3, 2017), "Τhe word rapture is simply the anglicized form of the Greek word  ̔αρπαζω  (harpazō) that appears in 1 Thessalonians 4:17 in the original text."  What does First Thessalonians 4:17 say?  Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them [believers who had died] in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air; so shall we ever be with the Lord.  This catching up that will happen to living believers is what we call the Rapture.  

     This phenomena has been the subject of books, movies, songs, sermons and conversations.  I was a teenager in the 90s when the Left Behind books became popular.  Because my pastor gave the subject so much overkill, I never did read those books, because I felt like I knew all about it anyway, though I did eventually see the Kirk Cameron movies based on the books.  

Image result for kirk cameron left behind

     Well, all right, we know living believers will be "caught up," or raptured, at some point.  When will this happen?  What will it involve?  Biblically, the rapture will be among a series of events involved in the end times, culminating with the second coming of Christ.  Let's examine this a moment.

     Most of the Bible is very clear, and true believers in Christ agree on the essential doctrines of salvation.  However, there are certain subjects in scripture that different Christians take different ways.  Eschatology (end times theology) is one of these things.  I have good friends who have different beliefs about these events.  I had a professor in Bible college who laughingly told us, "I know Christians who don't believe in the rapture, but that's okay, I'll explain it to them on the way up!" I am going to share what I believe scripture teaches.  

     This world was originally created as perfect by God (Genesis 1:31), but when Adam and Eve sinned, they brought creation down with them.  Romans 8:22-24 tell us: We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption to sonship, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have?  Once sin entered the world, creation began to decline.  In its current state, it isn't meant to last forever.  The world isn't going to just go on and on. There will be an end, and a new beginning.  God is going to restore.  Revelation 21:5 (almost the end of the Bible) tells us, "Behold, I will make all things new."  That is what creation has to look forward to.  Until then, it groans as it ages and moves toward decay.  

Image result for creation groaneth

     The book of Revelation is largely about the event called the Great Tribulation that will happen. Jesus spoke of this event in Matthew 24 and Mark 13.  It will be a time when God's wrath will be poured out on the earth.  A very evil man (often referred to as the Antichrist) will rise to power and be widely accepted by the world as a leader.  Second Thessalonians 2:1-4 says, As to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered together to him, we beg you, brothers and sisters, not to be quickly shaken in mind or alarmed, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as though from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord is already here. Let no one deceive you in any way; for that day will not come unless the rebellion comes first and the lawless one is revealed, the one destined for destruction. He opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, declaring himself to be God.  We see here that the Thessalonians were worried they had missed Christ's return, so Paul is giving them information that is useful for us today.  There are clues as to what will happen before Christ's return.  A rebellion, then the "lawless one" or Antichrist, will come on the scene.  Pretty arrogant man.  How many of us are dumb enough to follow someone who tries to put himself forward as a god?  And yet Matthew 24:24 tells us, For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.  There will be great deception behind his work.  He won't just be some evil man who says, "I'm a god, and I'm taking over the world."  He'll be smooth and deceitful.  According to this verse we just read, even believers could be fooled by him...If possible.  I believe the reason it isn't possible is because believers will have been raptured and will be in Heaven at the time.  Second Thessalonians 2:7 says, For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way.  The Antichrist can't come on the scene until the restraint is taken away.  I believe that is the influence of Christians in the world, and the Holy Spirit indwelling them.  We are the salt of the earth and light of the world (Matthew 5:13-16).  If we are suddenly removed, evil would be able to flourish unstopped.  Please note that there will be people saved after the rapture, but they won't be anywhere near the population of Christians on the earth as there are right now.  They will suffer greatly, but will also be 
part of God's forever family with us.  Some will die for the gospel and will go to Heaven (Revelation 6:9).  Others will live through the Tribulation and see Christ returning (Matthew 24:13).  



     I will quickly also point out that the Rapture will also be the time when Christians who have already died will be reunited with their bodies.  First Thessalonians 4:16 says that the dead in Christ shall rise first.  In my previous post, I talked about how this doesn't mean that Christians who die are in the grave sleeping until this point, but rather, they are in Heaven with the Lord, but their bodies are in the grave (see that post for deeper explanation).  

     Back on topic, who is this Antichrist?  When I was growing up, my brother had a very rude friend who used to come over a lot.  This boy wasn't a Christian.  In fact, his parents were agnostics (a fact that horrified most of our Judeo-Christian neighborhood).  We invited this boy to AWANA with us, and he came once, but he told the leaders who tried to share the gospel with him, "I think it's like Nintendo, and I'm going to go to hell and kill the devil, just like Mario defeats King Koopa."  After hearing this, I was totally convinced this boy was the Antichrist.  Laughable now that I would think this.  As Americans, we are often apt to think of certain politicians we don't like as possible candidates for the Antichrist.  But let's step outside of our American mindset.  The United States isn't mentioned at all in scripture, and it is doubtful that the Antichrist will be an American citizen.  It isn't impossible, but it also isn't likely.  Also, the Antichrist won't be someone we expect.  Remember, he's going to be brilliantly deceptive.   Not just some politician we disagree with, or even a wicked politician who wants to take away our rights as Americans.  It will go much deeper than that, and reach much further.  
Image result for us presidents
None of these men has turned out to be the Antichrist, and it is very doubtful any of them that are alive right now will be.

     One time, I was at a bookstore, looking at Bibles in their "religion" aisle.  A man came into the aisle, saw me looking at Bibles, and said, "Hi there."  I thought at first that he worked there and was going to ask if I was finding everything all right.  He said hello back, giving him a side glance before looking back at the Bibles.  This man was wearing a very worn old suit, but it wasn't a cheap one.  He didn't have a name badge on, so I surmised he wasn't a store employee.  He stood awkwardly for a moment, then asked, "You know, I see you looking at these Bibles.  Are you a Christian?"  My first thought was, Wow, what a ready-made witnessing opportunity!  "Yes I am," I told him happily.  He wanted to know if it was okay for him to ask me some questions, and of course I agreed, cautioning him that nobody fully understands the mind of God, but that I'd do my best.  Well, he asked me if I believed the whole Bible was true, to which I replied in the affirmative.  Then he added, "Even the book of Revelation?"  "Yes."  Then he asked, "Do you believe the Antichrist will be a real person?"  "Yes." By this time, I was wondering what he was getting at.  His next and final question was, "Do you believe the Antichrist could be alive today?"  Again, I said yes, adding that it was possible, but we didn't know for sure.  Then the man totally shocked me by bursting into tears.  "I just knew it!"  He wailed.  I was stunned.  "Are you okay, sir?" I asked.  Trying to pull himself together, he sniffed.  He looked around to make sure no one was listening, then leaned very close to me. "I think I'm the Antichrist!" he whispered, still sniffling.   I was not prepared for this.  As politely as I could, I asked him how he had drawn this conclusion.  He told me, "I have information that's vital to this nation's security, and I have secret powers, and I even know how to break into Air Force One."  I didn't want to hear any more, because I didn't want to be legally responsible to report this (even though I knew it was crazy and not legitimate)!  I tried to convince him that he wasn't the Antichrist.  I told him that the Antichrist isn't going to call himself the Antichrist.  He's going to be a world leader who can deceive everyone.  "That's me to a T!" he moaned sadly.  I tried for several more minutes to convince him he wasn't the Antichrist.  When I later told my pastor about it, he told me I should have gotten his autograph!  Again, though, this man's belief he was the Antichrist stemmed from his perceived power over American culture (IE: this nation's security, Air Force One), when the Bible actually gives no indication about the United States at all.  Admittedly, this was a funny experience, but I also feel sorry for this man, as he was clearly confused.  I found out much later in the conversation that he was from a homeless shelter, and actually attended Harvest (a very strong gospelpreaching church pastored by evangelist Greg Laurie) and that he had actually received Christ as his Savior, which automatically disqualifies anyone from being the Antichrist.  

     The Antichrist will reign seven years, and then Christ will return.  Mark 13:28 tells us that after the Tribulation, At that time people will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory.  According to Revelation 19, the Antichrist and his false prophet will be thrown into the lake of fire (hell).  In the next chapter, we are told that Satan is going to be bound for a thousand years, and believers will reign with Christ on earth.  Satan will get free after the thousand years and wage war.  This is referred to as the Battle of Armageddon.  Satan will lose, and be thrown into the lake of fire forever.  After this, unbelievers who had died will stand before the Great White Throne of God to be judged.  We are told that they will be judged by their deeds.  We believers won't be judged by our deeds, because we realized we were sinners and put our faith in Christ, so we are judged by the Blood of Jesus.  But as for these unsaved individuals, their names are not written in the Lambs Book of Life, and they will also be thrown into the lake of fire, the second death.  Death and Hades (the temporary hell unvelievers are currently in) will be thrown into the lake of fire. 

     After this, we are told in Revelation 21 that there will be a new heaven and new earth, because the current world as we know it will be gone.  Many of the beautiful and wonderful things we are told about this new world are things we often think of as being in Heaven now.  Things like the streets of gold, the foundation of precious stones, tree with a new fruit monthly, no night, no sun or moon, etc.  When Christian friends or loved ones die, we often think of them as walking on the streets of gold now, but that will come later.  They are in God's presence now, as I shared in my last post, but the current place of believers who die is not the ultimate destination.  This new earth will be forever and ever!  Doesn't that give you goosebumps?  That's our ultimate destiny as Christians!  

Image result for New heaven and new earth

     According to all we have examined, the Rapture is the first big event of the end times.  When will it happen?  When will any of this happen?  Jesus Himself said in Mark 13:32-33, But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Be on guard! Be alert. You do not know when that time will come.  No one but God the Father knows.  But we're to be ready.  It is my hope that the rapture happens in my lifetime, but even if it doesn't, I'll still be with the Lord when I die. As Christians, we really can't lose. There are signs about when the rapture will come.  There is the great falling away or rebellion, depending on the version you use (Second Thessalonians 4:3).  What does this look like?  The Apostle Paul gives us an idea in Second Timothy 4:3: For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions.  Sounds a lot like today, doesn't it?  It could happen at any time.  The rapture itself is only the beginning of our ultimate, glorious end.  

No comments:

Post a Comment