Saturday, September 7, 2019

Spiritual Gifts

     My husband and I were recently asked to take a spiritual gifts test at a Bible study.  We complied, and it was interesting. To be honest, I have mixed feelings about that.  I think it is important to be aware of how God has gifted and equipped us.  I just question the validity of tests.  People aren't always objective when they evaluate themselves.  I have often found it is better to have others who see us in action tell us what gifts they see in us.
     Spiritual gifts are distinct from talents.  Both are given by God, but a talent is a natural ability given at birth, whereas a spiritual gift is a supernatural ability given to a Christian when he is born again.  Spiritual Gifts are for the glory of God.  Romans 12 and First Corinthians 12 give lists of spiritual gifts believers may exercise.  Romans 12 very clearly teaches that all believers have a function in God's family: "For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully." (Verses 4-8).  The list of spiritual gifts in First Corinthians 12 has some different gifts on it, such as miracles and speaking in tongues.  
     I believe these lists given in Romans and First Corinthians show ways in which the Holy Spirit empowers us.  However, I don't believe these are the only ways.  You'll notice that there is no "gift of evangelism" listed, and yet many believers are said to have this gift.  It is always the gift I come out with when I take spiritual gift tests. If a spiritual gift is a supernatural ability given by the Holy Spirit, evangelism definitely fits the bill.  Acts 1:8 says "But you will receive power, after the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be My witnesses..." Witnessing is empowered by the Holy Spirit.  This is further demonstrated in Acts 2, when the disciples received the Holy Spirit, and Peter (formerly too scared to own up to his association with Jesus) courageously preaches the gospel, and three thousand people receive Christ as Savior!  That was a work of the Holy Spirit.  Therefore, I believe evangelism is a spiritual gift (as well as a command to all Christians).  However, adding this to the lists I already mentioned doesn't necessarily close off the list of what can be labeled a spiritual gift.  Exodus 31:1-6 talks about a different sort of empowerment from the Holy Spirit: "Then the Lord said to Moses, “See, I have chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with wisdom, with understanding, with knowledge and with all kinds of skills to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze,  to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts. Moreover, I have appointed Oholiab son of Ahisamak, of the tribe of Dan, to help him. Also I have given ability to all the skilled workers to make everything I have commanded you."  According to this passage, God can empower His people to do artistic craftsmanship.  
     When I was in Bible College in my early 20s, I took the most thorough spiritual gifts test of my life.  This test listed everything in the Bible that even might be considered a spiritual gift.  In that test (as with all others), I scored very high in evangelism, but on this particular test, my very highest was the gift of martyrdom.  If there is a spiritual gift of martyrdom, the person possessing it only gets to use it once!  I don't see a gift of martyrdom listed in the Bible, but, as with everything for Christ, facing death for the gospel would require empowerment from the Holy Spirit.  In that sense, it would be a spiritual gift.  The questions on the test I took that determined I had this gift were things such as, "Have you ever gotten in trouble for witnessing?" or "Have you ever faced opposition while sharing the gospel?"  Those kinds of things, which I could honestly answer "yes," to.   I'm not sure I actually agree with the test's assessment of me though.  
     Another aspect about spiritual gifts is how people perceive them.  Some spiritual gifts make a person loved and popular.  My cousin Rachel (who is one of my best friends, and was my roommate before I got married), is a very well-loved Christian.  She has the spiritual gift of service.  She has a supernatural ability to see what needs to be done for a ministry to be a success.  She'll know what to do without anyone asking.  She'll start setting up chairs, getting the coffee ready, etc.  No one is going to get mad at her for that.  She is joyfully serving the Lord in a way that no one feels threatened.  I have often wished I was more like her.  I never seem to notice what needs doing.  One summer, I worked at a Christian camp.  I was so focused on the campers that I never saw the necessary tasks, such as stacking chairs, filling water pitchers, etc.  I had someone really jump on my case for not having a servant's heart.  I don't think that was fair.  I clearly don't have the gift of service, and it is something I can try to be more mindful of, but any believer can have a servant's heart, and there are a lot of ways to show it.  I had given of my time to take kids to camp and teach them about Christ.  That was my way of being a servant.  And had I been asked, I would have been happy to help stack chairs, fill water pitchers, etc.  
     My gifts tend toward evangelism, discernment, and prophecy.  I had never thought much about prophecy, because I don't believe in modern day prophets like Elijah or Jeremiah.  However, a good friend of mine, Cindy, pointed out to me a few years ago that both she and I tend to have a gift of prophecy, which today would be "forth telling" more than fore telling.  It is speaking truth, often unpopular truths.  Here's how it works for me.  Someone will say something that is Theologically false.  I will feel physical pain in my heart and a sickness in my stomach.  I have a compelling sense that I must speak the truth about it, even if everyone hates me.  Once I speak up and counter the Theological falsehood, the pain and sickness go away, and I feel relief, even if people are mad at me (and they often are).  People accuse me of "judging" (honestly, can't people be more original?) and other unkind labels. I am often unpopular, especially with those who facilitate wrongdoing (IE: Christians who don't want to deal with sin and would rather sweep it under the rug).  I am not a better or more committed believer than my cousin Rachel, but I'm much less popular.  It's hard.  Ironically, unbelievers often like me better than my fellow Christians. Believers need to support each other in their spiritual gifts, whether they are pleasant to us (getting coffee ready for Bible study) or not (speaking biblical truth about sin).  All gifts are for the glory of God and the benefit of the Body of Christ.
     As I said earlier, I have mixed feelings about spiritual gift tests.  They're not always taken objectively.  They can put limits on what we are willing to do for the Lord (IE: "I don't have the gift of mercy so I don't have to be compassionate." etc.).  They can turn the focus onto self instead of Christ.  It can become little more than an experience in self-realization instead of Christ-realization.  I personally believe the best way to know our spiritual gifts is to just step out in service and let God use us, and get feedback from others.  All believers have a part to play!  Let's get at it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment