Saturday, August 24, 2019

Nonsense

     This week, I've witnessed a lot of nonsense.  This nonsense, ironically, has come from a place that is supposed to be the issuer of common sense...the school system.

Image result for school pictures

     I have been involved in education on different levels since 1999.  I have worked in Christian and secular settings.  Everywhere God has had me, I've seen it as a Divine Appointment.  I have been able to represent the Lord to children and adults.  In every setting, I have been able to share Christ in certain ways, sometimes more subtly than others  In public schools, I have been able to connect with other believers working there, and we've gotten together to pray for our kids.  There have been times I've prayed for certain kids and wondered if anyone else on earth ever prayed for them.  It was a divine calling.  I believe God puts us where He wants us to be a light.  I know many wonderful people who work for public and private schools, being a blessing to kids.  

     Having said that, I have become more and more distressed with the school system in this nation.  I have worked in three states.  I have met some very dedicated and diligent teachers.  I do not think teachers or any other school personnel are the problem.  I want that to be clear.  It's a system that is bigger than all of them.  People claim public schools are supposed to be "neutral" on moral and religious matters.  Let's look at that a minute. 

     The dictionary definition of the word neutral states: not helping or supporting either side of a conflict, disagreement, etc.  By this definition, if our public schools are neutral, it would mean that they neither promote nor prohibit the spread of any particular faith or view.  Is this true?  
Image result for neutral

     A California mother I know recently pulled her children out of public school.  This is a markedly conservative area with many Christians and churches.  However, the school system does not reflect the area.  They opted to have a religious studies program.  They claimed they would be giving equal time to each religion.  However, they crammed Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism and a few others into two weeks, but gave Islam a detailed eight-week study and presentation.  Does this sound neutral?  This mother went to the school district and complained, and all she got was the superintendent rolling his eyes at her and saying, "Oh, another Fundamentalist Christian."  As if he'd been dealing with them all day (and if he had, why didn't he take them seriously?).  This same district also began pushing sexual identity education in lower elementary school.  This was the final straw for the mother I mentioned.  Not only did she pull her children out, but so did most of her neighbors.  
Image result for religious symbols

     I have spent this summer working in a Christian preschool.  They not only have classes for infants through pre-Kindergarten, but also have before and after elementary care.  One little boy, whom I have worked with a lot this summer, started kindergarten this past week.  He came back very shaken up a few days into it.  He had been reprimanded for praying for his lunch in the cafeteria.  He was told he was bullying.  He was almost in tears as he confusedly shared this with us.  This precious child of God was attacked for his childlike faith.  His belief in Jesus was a threat to the big people.  He is too sweet, young and innocent to understand.  My coworker and I assured him he was allowed to pray by himself.  Together, we stayed late and prayed for the situation.  The very next day, this child came back elated.  His teacher told him it was okay for him to pray.  Several other children in his class excitedly said they're going to start praying too!  This child is only five  years old, but he has already faced persecution, fought a spiritual battle, and been a witness.  He will not lose his reward (Matthew 5:11-12).  Does it sound like the school was initially being neutral?  They were hindering a child from practicing his faith.  The teacher herself was neutral, but the cafeteria people weren't.  

Image result for child praying over school lunch

     I shared this story in a recent post, but a Christian teenager where I live told me he got out his Bible to quietly read during an after-school program at his junior high.  The staff in charge immediately demanded he put it away, because it's supposedly not "fair" to other faiths.  If this person was truly neutral, he wouldn't be so against this boy reading the Bible quietly.  I have a feeling he wouldn't have made someone put a Quran away.  But even if they were equally hard on all people of faith, that still isn't neutral.  Neutral, by definition, would mean they neither encouraged nor discouraged it.  
Image result for teen boy reading bible

     A friend of mine in the Midwest shared that her daughter recently came home from school and shared that a boy from their church got in trouble for mentioning God.  This mother had the right response.  She said her daughter is allowed to talk about God and anyone who has a problem can talk to her.  Still, it is disheartening to see this is happening all over the country.  

Image result for Taking God out of schools in america

     Let's also not forget that prayer was removed from public schools in 1962.  In the decades since, our country has faced unparalleled violence in our schools, particularly in the last 20 years.  It wasn't always that way.  In 1647, the Colony of Massachusetts passed the Old Deluder Satan Act, promoting public education and literacy.  The idea was that if people could read, they could read the Bible, and not be deluded by Satan.  That was the whole purpose of public education at the dawn of our country.  They didn't want to push a particular sect, as had been the case in England, but they wanted people to read the Bible.  Our nation was founded on the principle of religious freedom, and yes, most of these early colonists were Christians.  If people today find that offensive, they should find another country to move to, one founded on some other religion.  Somehow, I doubt they will, though.  

     The Theory of Evolution is taught as fact in our schools, called science (That's a joke!).  Students aren't even given the information that this is only a theory, less than 200 years old (and there is actually no conclusive evidence to back it up).  For something to be true science, it must be observable, measurable and repeatable.  Evolution is none of these things.  There are a lot of arguments I could bring up, and if you're interested, say so in the comments, and we can chat about it.  For the moment, lets consider if teaching Evolution as if it's a fact is "neutral."  Just because something is atheistic doesn't make it neutral.  Neutral would be giving equal attention to Evolution and Creation and letting students draw their own conclusions.  That would be "neutral".  Not taking a side.  Clearly, the side of the majority of public schools is with Evolution, not Creation.  

     Think about places that are religiously neutral.  Grocery stores neither hinder nor promote faith.  Dentist offices neither hinder nor promote faith.  Libraries neither hinder nor promote faith (they may have books on different religions, depending on the demand in the area).  In all of these settings, you are not being bombarded with any sort of agenda for or against any particular faith.  You are also not discouraged from your faith.  If you run into a friend from church in the grocery store and strike up a spiritual conversation, no one is going to order you to stop.  Are schools truly neutral like this?  No, they are not.  

     It is very important to know our rights as Americans.  Students have the right to pray and bring their Bibles to school (look it up!).  One time, I was standing across the street from a public elementary school.  I was passing out fliers to a Bible club held at a nearby church.  I had called the school district and asked permission, but they told me that if I wasn't technically on the campus, and wasn't disturbing the flow of traffic, then I didn't need permission.  So, there I was.   The school's principal came out and tried to intimidate me.  She was very condescending, and tried to imply I was trespassing.  I politely told her I wasn't on school grounds and was within my rights as a citizen.  She tried a few of these tactics, and I kept replying calmly.  She finally turned and walked away without another word.  Knowing our rights and politely asserting them is key.  Too often, we let ourselves be bullied, and we give our rights away.  The godless pounce on this and continue making us feel like we can't talk about the Lord, and we just give in and try to be secret.  We do have rights!  We need to use them!


Image result for Taking God out of schools in america

     I have been involved in a few discussions with others about these things this past week.  Many Christians are doing things to reach the public schools.  Christian teachers, librarians, and other school staff pray for their students and consider their jobs their ministries.  God puts people like this into dark places to shine for Him.  I've been there myself, and I have nothing but respect for these believers.  Other Christian groups start on-campus Bible clubs to reach students.  Child Evangelism Fellowship has After-School Good News Clubs on campuses, and has since 2001, when the supreme court ruled that Christian groups be allowed to have clubs on campus on the same basis that any other group could meet there.  These ministries are reaching the kids in our schools.  

     Having said all of that, it is my considered opinion that the public school system in our nation is corrupt.  There are godly people that God has placed there.  Not every school is equally depraved.  But this is a failing system.  Children are being bullied by a one-sided worldview claiming to be neutral.  Disagreeing with this agenda gets people labeled as a bully, a bigot, or worse.  This agenda accuses Christians of doing what they, themselves are doing, brainwashing.  A very interesting article I read describes a very bold nun who urges parents to remove their children from the corrupt system.  You can read the article here.  I found it very interesting, and while I'm not a Roman Catholic myself, I find myself completely agreeing with this woman of faith.  

     Voltaire said, "To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you're not allowed to criticize."  If this is true, Christians don't rule this country.  Who are we not allowed to criticize?  You know, and so do I.  

     For a more biblical quote on the subject (since, clearly, Voltaire isn't biblical), I'd like to close with John 15:18-25.  This passage in Jesus' words, explains the why behind all of this: “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.  Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me. If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. Whoever hates me hates my Father as well. If I had not done among them the works no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. As it is, they have seen, and yet they have hated both me and my Father.  But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: ‘They hated me without reason.'"

     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment