Friday, October 18, 2019

Forgivable?

     Is there anything that's unforgivable?  Think about it. Is there any sin that God just can't forgive?  Can't redeem?  How about sins people can't forgive?

Image result for mob of angry people

    Matthew 12:31 says  And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.  Let's look at that a minute.  Every kind of sin and slander is forgivable by God.  There is only one sin that can't be forgiven, and this verse tells us that it is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.  What is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?  That is the subject of much study and debate.  That isn't my focus here, but before moving on, I will say this.  Here are a few things I believe about this unforgivable sin (do an in-depth study of your own for more details, though).  1) If you are concerned you might have done it, you haven't.  It takes a hardened heart with no hope of redemption to commit this sin.  It isn't something you do by accident.  2) It is a very specific sin, distinct from other sins. If it was just some other sin, Jesus would have referred to it by its name, not made up a new name for it.  It blasphemy against the Holy Spirit were murdering someone, for example, Jesus would have simply said that murder couldn't be forgiven.  He wouldn't have given it this mysterious title of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.  3) I don't believe it is possible for a Christian to commit this sin, for many, many reasons.  4) I believe blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is rejecting Christ's salvation and forgiveness.  As I said, if you want to know more, study it out for yourself.  There are a lot of commentaries available online these days to aid in your study.

     Getting back to my main point, every sin you can think of is forgivable by God, but we must come to God on His terms--that is, through His Son.  Once we do, every sin is forgiven and removed--"as far as the east is from the west," (Psalm 103:12).  First John 1:9 tells us If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and purify us from all unrighteousness.  We have to confess--that is, admit we are wrong, being willing to turn from that sin with God's help.  Once we do, we experience His forgiveness.  

     Forgiveness isn't just something God can do.  It's something He calls us to do.  Ephesians 4:32 tells us, Be ye kind, one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God, for Christ's sake, hath forgiven you.  We are called to forgive others, just as God has forgiven us.  Sometimes, this is hard.  It requires the empowerment of the Holy Spirit.  

Image result for forgiveness

     As humans, are there certain sins we categorize as unforgivable?  I run into that at times.  I'll give you two examples.  After I share these two examples, I want to examine exactly what forgiveness entails.  Briefly, for the moment, I'll say that forgiveness isn't excusing the sin.  It isn't pretending it away.  It isn't even always a restored relationship (with God it is, but not necessarily with people).  More after my examples.  

     I often listen to worship music on YouTube.  If you're familiar with YouTube, you know that it automatically selects suggestions for videos you might be interested in, based on your previous choices.  For me, it usually suggests Christian videos.  Sometimes, the suggestions are things I'm very interested in, other times, not particularly.  At some point, YouTube decided I was interested in the large Arkansas family from the discontinued television show 19 Kids and Counting.  Quite honestly, I have never followed this show or this family.  From what I know, they are my brothers and sisters in Christ.  I know their convictions are often very different than mine, but that's between each of us and God.  I truly wish them God's best blessings.  One day, though, YouTube had once again suggested a video about this family, and my curiosity was piqued.  I decided to watch.  After all, these people share my faith, and are very famous.  Why not just see what it's all about?  I happened to watch the episode where the family's oldest son gets engaged to the woman he ended up marrying. Of course, some years after this episode had been filmed (but before I saw the video on YouTube), he was publicly disgraced after some sexual scandals came out.  After that, this family appeared in tabloids everywhere.  I don't like gossip about anybody, and I didn't feel their private pain should be broadcast to the world (I don't want that for any celebrity--or any person, really).  Of course, it could be argued that they put themselves in the public eye, but still, I don't need to hear all that.  Anyway, getting back to this video I watched, I was touched by how sweet and wholesome it was, filmed long before this young man's sins were uncovered, and before he had indulged in more of it.  In the video, he was shown having very stringent standards in his courtship with his fiancee (now wife).  No kissing until the altar.  Side hugs only.  No being alone together.  These rules are not found in scripture, but I believe this family put them in place to avoid getting close to breaking biblical admonishments about purity.  There's a lot I could say about how adding to God's word is what the Pharisees did.  But that isn't my point.  There's nothing wrong with having those standards if that's what people choose, especially if it helps them avoid sin.  We all have to do what we have to do.  As I watched this young couple's relationship unfold, knowing some of the heartache that would come, I just thought, sadly, This goes to show that a person can have strict man-made standards and do everything "right" by those standards, yet fail miserably where it really counts.  I posted a comment to this effect on the video.  I added a final sentence though, that I'm so grateful for redemption.  I meant that as a general term, as well as specific.  Redemption is possible.  This man's sins are forgivable.  I don't know if they are forgiven, because I do not know if he has repented to God and those he hurt.  I don't know if lasting change has happened.  I wouldn't even try to speak to that.  But they are forgivable.  They were humiliating to himself and his family, especially his wife.  They cost him his career and television appearances.  But sexual sin isn't blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.  I don't know his heart.  I don't know if he has truly repented.  I hope so, but that's between him, his family, and God.  It isn't up to me.  I truly hope God's best for them all.  It appears he and his wife have moved forward together, and that she has chosen forgiveness.  Anyway, many people responded to my comment on this video.  Most didn't like what I said.  They objected to me using the idea of redemption in relation to this man.  They talked about how unforgivable he is, and how there can't possibly be redemption for a scum ball like him.  I can understand how they'd feel.  However, to say he can't be forgiven is overstepping bounds.  According to the Bible, he can be forgiven.  If he truly confessed his sin, he is forgiven.  Is he trustworthy?  That is another matter altogether.  I have no relationship with him whatsoever, so I can't say.  With his record, he is not capable of working in certain jobs anymore.  That is a consequence.  However, we're not talking about consequences, but redemption and forgiveness.  Biblically, his sin is forgivable.  

Image result for 19 kids and counting logo

     My other example involves a historical figure.  Christopher Columbus.  I grew up at a time when Christopher Columbus was presented as an explorer, in a generally positive light.  In trying to find a new route to India, he encountered the Western Hemisphere.  His voyage made history.  In 1992, I was a young adolescent, and clearly recall everyone celebrating the 500th anniversary of that voyage.  I have heard mixed reports about his character.  I understand he wasn't a faithful husband.  I also understand he didn't treat the natives in the New World well.  Columbus Day has been observed every October since 1971.  I usually forget about it until I try to get the mail and realize there's no mail that day, because it is a federal holiday.  I didn't think much of it at all until I moved to South Dakota in 2016.  In that state, they refer to the holiday as "Indigenous Peoples Day" instead of Columbus Day.  I was confused as to why, and when I asked, I was met with shock.  Apparently, Columbus became a villain and I didn't get the memo.  Suddenly, everyone hates the man.  He hasn't changed since my school days, because he has been dead for centuries and has had no chance to change.  Yet the perception of him has changed.  This greatly confuses me.  I always thought we observed Columbus Day, and even learned about him in history, because of his accomplishments.  His voyage was a step toward the Western Hemisphere as we know it today.  It is a piece of our history.  That deserves some sort of recognition, no matter what wrongs he committed.  No one has ever celebrated his sins, nor should we.  Because of how he apparently treated the natives (and even that is debated as to what actually happened), his contribution to history is suddenly being disregarded.  What he did is being seen through the lens of racism.  Racism is viewed as the most unforgivable sin of the 21st century.  Real, genuine racism is a sin.  The Bible tells us that God is no respecter of persons (Acts 10:34).  Man looks on the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart (First Samuel 16:7).  God loves and wants everyone to be saved (Second Peter 3:9).  There will be people from every tribe and nation in Heaven (Revelation 7:9).  Yes, racism (or any sort of prejudice) is a sin.  But is it unforgivable?  No!  It isn't blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.  But with people, it seems to be totally unforgivable.  Not in any way am I denying the pain racism has caused people.  It is hurtful.  But bitterness and hate toward racist people makes us no better than they are.  Bitter people are the most unattractive people to me.  Especially when the one they're bitter against has been dead for five hundred years.  If Christopher Columbus truly did mistreat people (whether they were Native Americans, Spaniards, Italians, or anyone else on the planet), he sinned, and needed redemption.  That redemption was possible, if he confessed his sin and his need for Jesus Christ.  I hope he did.  I do not, in any way, minimize the pain his sin may have caused people.  He doesn't sound like an admirable person.  I'm not suggesting we worship the man, or have a high opinion of him.  I'm not even arguing for keeping Columbus Day as a "holiday".  I'm only suggesting that he sinned, and should be forgiven, especially since no one living today was affected by it (and yes, actions do affect history, so in a sense, we are affected, but we're in God's Sovereign hand), and being hateful only makes us bitter people, in need of more redemption in our own lives.  I see more hateful statements against Columbus on Facebook than I do about Hitler.  In recent years, I've seen people defend Hitler, making excuses for his wickedness, and minimizing his attempts to annihilate the Jews.  Whatever Columbus did or didn't do, he certainly wasn't trying to annihilate an entire race of people.  Why defend a man like Hitler, yet condemn Columbus?  This is inconsistent, and shows what a mixed-up world we have.  People decide for themselves what is worthy of forgiveness and redemption, and what isn't.  It isn't up to people.  It's isn't subject to 21st century protocol.  It's subject to the Bible.  Racism, sexual sin...all of it can be forgiven, according to the Bible.  It doesn't make it right or excusable.  There are dire consequences.  But we are so quick as a society today to accuse everyone of "judging" and yet that's exactly what people are doing when they claim certain people are beyond redemption.  The thief on the cross wasn't beyond redemption.  Who are we to say anyone is beyond God's love or the possibility of salvation?  Who are we to hold grudges?

Image result for christopher columbus

     Before you look at me and say, "Well, she can talk.  She's never had to forgive these particular sins in her life," know that is not the case.  I have been the object of very humiliating sexual harassment, and the object of prejudice.  Both of these experiences were very hurtful, and were very hard for me to forgive.  I couldn't in my own strength.  I had to have God's help!  There are days when I have greater victory over these things than others.  I'm still human, doing my best with God's help.  It isn't easy, but it's very possible.  

     This same issue of people deciding what is forgivable and what isn't is what brings some Christians to claim we can lose our salvation by committing certain sins.  As I've shared in other posts, I strongly believe the Bible teaches that we are eternally secure once we come to faith in Christ. Claiming a certain sin results in lost salvation is to supersede what the Bible teaches.  There is no verse that says a particular sin will do that to us.  When people say that, they often pull a sin they think is the "worst" and use it to show how serious it is.  I've never heard an agreed consensus as to what sin would actually cause this.  That's because it isn't in the Bible.  It's just because humans can't wrap their heads around God's amazing grace and forgiveness.  

     When I say people need to forgive, what do I mean?  As I said earlier, forgiveness doesn't excuse sin.  It doesn't pretend it doesn't matter.  It acknowledges that the sin was wrong, and that it hurts.  It is looking at that sin for what it is.  It is then releasing that person off of our hook onto God's.  They aren't our responsibility anymore.  We give up the right to get even, or hate them.  Sometimes, in my life, I've had to ask God to help me forgive, because I couldn't in my own strength  That is a prayer He loves to answer.  Unforgiveness hurts you more than it hurts the object of your grudge.  God wants to free you from that bitterness.  

     Does forgiveness mean a restored relationship?  Not always.  In my first example, the young man's wife has chosen to forgive him and have a restored relationship.  I'm sure it was a hard journey for her, and I truly pray God's best for them in this. A lot of people are saying she's weak and enabling.  Maybe she is.  I have no idea, because I don't know them personally, but I want to believe the best unless I learn otherwise.  I imagine he has had to work at rebuilding the broken trust.  I have known other people who have had broken trust with a loved one, and, while they forgave immediately, trust had to be rebuilt.  There have been other cases where trust couldn't be rebuilt, because the person wasn't sorry and didn't want to rebuild.  The wronged party still chose to forgive, but they had to move on with their lives without the person who had wronged them.  In the case of Christopher Columbus, we have the advantage, because he is dead and can't do anything else to break our trust.  Since he didn't actually wrong any of us personally, it should be pretty easy to forgive him, knowing God saw everything he did or didn't do, and has dealt with it accordingly.  

     I'm so glad for God's forgiveness and redemption...for me and for everyone who comes to Him in genuine faith and repentance.  

No comments:

Post a Comment