Monday, May 30, 2022

Where the Rubber Meets the Road

     Being a Christian seems like a nice, pleasant idea, until it becomes personal, requiring something of you.  Many people like the ideas of loving their neighbor, self-sacrifice, and even following God, when these are just theoretical ideas.  But Christianity isn't merely a set of good ideas.  You don't just pay lip-service to Jesus Christ.  You let let Him enter you, so that you can enter into His righteousness.  Galatians 2:20 says,  I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.  When you embraced His gift of salvation, you invited His Holy Spirit into your heart.  The victorious Christian life involves decisions.  Jesus described it this way, ...If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me. (Luke 9:23)


     Our faith in Christ carries us to Heaven.  But along the way, it does a lot more.  It calls us to daily surrender to God's will for us. 

      Growing up,  I used to go to Christian camp.  The first several days in chapel, they would give a strong gospel message, and invitations for the unsaved to receive Christ.  But somewhere in the week, the emphasis would switch to the already-saved individuals.   The preacher would appeal to us to make a deeper commitment to our faith.  I made resolves in my life different years at camp, which made lasting differences.  These were meaningful times.  However, what they failed to say was that, while salvation was a one-time decision, these deeper surrender choices were daily.  Not just something we did at camp on a spiritual high.  It's easy to surrender with all your Christian friends in a meaningful moment, with touching music playing, and encouraging Christian adults standing around affirming your decision.  


     It is much harder when the rubber meets the road of life.  When it isn't exciting or emotional.  When you are challenged.  When you are tempted.  When you are pushed to your limits.  When the enemy hits you at your weakest points.  That is when we need to surrender the most urgently.  The Apostle Paul wrote about some of those times in Second Corinthians 4:8-9, We are pressed on every side by troubles, but not crushed and broken. We are perplexed because we don’t know why things happen as they do, but we don’t give up and quit. We are hunted down, but God never abandons us. We get knocked down, but we get up again and keep going.  This quotation of it was from The Living Bible.  I love how it words this particular passage.  Does your life look like that sometimes?  

     The Christian life isn't just a list of Do's and Don'ts.  It's not a matter of "avoid sin and you're automatically in God's perfect will for you."  Our faith is a relationship, where God speaks to us and leads us, and wants fellowship with us.  He wants to be Lord of our decisions, because (being all-knowing) He knows what He is purposing to do in and through us, and how that will impact others, and even eternity.  His will is the very best for us, because He loves us more than anyone else ever could, and therefore, His will can be trusted.  Not only that, but because He is also all-powerful, He can enable you to do what He has called you to do.  This might mean taking some drastic life-step, like surrendering to a calling into the ministry--or it might be something seemingly small, like taking a moment to listen to someone, or impart a truth into someone's life.  God knows all, loves you intimately, and is all-powerful.  This combination of perfect knowledge, love, and power should give us the security to rest in His plans for us.  

     While violating biblical commands is sinful, and living according to the Bible is righteous, it isn't always that simplistic.   For example, it is also sinful to ignore the prompting of the Holy Spirit.  If the Holy Spirit is calling me to take a specific action, and I don't take it, I have sinned, even if what I did wasn't technically disobeying the Bible.  James 4:17 says, Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin. God's Holy Spirit speaks to us, and guides us.  Hebrews 10:16 tells us, ...I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them.  Seeking God every day is a must.  Hearing and obeying His voice is our sustenance.  Psalm 63:1 paints a beautiful picture of our need to seek Him.  ...early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is.  Do you long for God's presence in your life like that?  I want to, but there are times I get sidetracked.  When that happens, it is only a matter of time before I am reminded of my deep need of my Savior in my day to day life.  

     Christianity isn't just a beautiful story about Jesus saving us and taking us to Heaven one day.  That is the gist of it, and that is the message that saves us.  But the daily Christian life on earth is saying yes to Jesus when we don't feel like it.  It's going off by myself and praying for someone, instead of lashing out at them.  It's saying no to a second dessert, because I've had enough and don't need food to fulfill me.  It's waiting for God to reveal the next step when I feel like taking action myself.  It's being grateful when I want to complain.  And it's impossible in our own strength.  With the Holy Spirit in our hearts, we are able, and we will one day reap the rewards that come from an obedient life!  Count the cost, pay the price, reap the rewards!  

No comments:

Post a Comment