Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Amusing Anecdotes

     As I left my library book at work (I was at the most exciting part too, and now have to wait until tomorrow 😒), I decided to put my time to good use.  I thought I'd share some amusing anecdotes about things students have been saying.  You'll enjoy.
     By way of brief explanation, I have been challenged by my boss to really work on cognitive development with the children.  One of several things I do is to ask a thought-provoking question every day, and give them a chance to answer, and to also explain their thinking.  Here are a few of my questions (seven, to be precise), and some of their answers:

1) WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY?
  *"The sun makes me happy, because it shines down on me."
  *"My daddy makes me happy, because he bought me a new power ranger!"
  *"What doesn't make me happy is the rain!  I can't stand it!"
  *"The rain does make me happy."
      Me: "Why?" 
      Child "Because the rain likes me!" 
      Me "how do you know the rain likes you?  Did it tell you?" 
      Child (giving me an odd look), "Rain doesn't talk!"
      Me: "Then how do you know the rain likes you?"
      Child: "Because I carry an umbrella.  Rain always likes people with umbrellas!"
     *"Birthday parties make me happy, because they're fun and you get cake!"

2) HOW CAN YOU HELP SOMEONE TODAY?
     *"I can help a fireman get a kitty out of a tree!"
     *"I can help someone hang something on the wall with tape."
     *"I can help my mom do the dishes."
     *"I can help pass the food around the table during lunch."
     *"I can help my mom clean my room."

3) WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE TIME OF DAY, AND WHY?
     *"Eight-thirty."
      Me: "Why 8:30?"
      Child: "Because I like those numbers."
     *"Nighttime, because I like to sleep."
     *"Daytime, so I can play!"
     *"At night, because I can play in my room."
     *"Birthday time!"
     *"The morning, because I can get up and play all day long."

4) WHY IS YOUR FAMILY SPECIAL?
     *"I love them so much with all my life and will never give them up!"
     *"My mom cooks us dinner every night."
     *"I help my mom clean the kitchen."
     *"My mom spanks my brother when he picks on me."
     *"I have twenty-one grandmas!"
     *"My dad plays trucks with me, and my mom is special too, but I just don't know why."
     *"A family?  I don't think I have one of those." (this child most certainly does.)

5) IF YOU WERE THE TEACHER AND NO ONE WAS LISTENING, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
     *"I would be frustrated."
     *"I would yell, 'I'm mad!' loud and they'd get scared and stop."
     *"I would yell, 'STOP!' really loud."
     *"I would put everyone on a time out."
     *"I would call real grown-ups to help."
     *"I'd say Ssssh!"
     *"I'd give them all a spanking!"
6) WHAT WAS THE BEST GIFT YOU EVER RECEIVED?
     *"Santa gave me play dough.  I like to play with it."
     *"A tent!  I like to sleep in it, and it's fun! It was a big present."
     *"A doll that sells ice cream.  It's fun to play with."
     *"A Barbie doll, because I like Barbie dolls."
     *"Fake ketchup, because it's funny."

7) WHAT IS THE HARDEST THING YOU'VE EVER DONE?
     *"Eat cereal." 
      Me: "Why is that the hardest thing?"
      Child: no answer.  
     *"Building a dinosaur with blocks."
     *"Blowing up a swimming pool with a pump.  My daddy had to help me after a while."
     *"Balancing"
     *"Learning to cut by myself." 
     *"Ballet"

No comments:

Post a Comment