Thursday, January 14, 2021

Disappointed

      Although it may sound like it, this post isn't going to be a political rant--I promise.  Whether you agree with me politically or not, it's a moot point, because I'm not going there.  It may sound like it at first, but read on.  In fact, my husband, upon who I test out everything I write before publishing, thought this was too unbiased.  But I mean everything in it.  

     In the last few weeks, I have felt disappointed in many people I thought very highly of a short while ago.  Some of these people are political figures.  Others are online Bible teachers and other high profile Christians I had admired.  Still others are personal friends.  

     I said this in a post on Facebook, but I'll reiterate it here.  I don't feel I have been given enough information (at least not from trusted sources) to make any sort of judgment about anything that has happened in our nation lately.  I have opinions and educated guesses, but at present am not making a public stance.  As such, I am trying neither to condone nor condemn anyone right now until I know a lot more than I currently do (if that ever happens).  I distrust the major news outlets, as well as social media platforms, and think some of the lengths to which they are going to preserve their narrative is far outside the bounds of fair journalism or free speech.  I see a lot of hypocrisy about things to which certain people express outrage.  In spite of this, I try to wait for the truth to come out.  

     As I said, I do have my worldview, and as such, I have opinions about all of this.  I am sure you do too.  Maybe your opinions are the same as mine.  Maybe they're not.  My concern is when people follow popular narratives and biases without thinking for themselves.  It is also quite alarming to me when some well-meaning person tries to make everything equal by saying everyone on all sides is really bad and wrong.  People need to stand by their convictions.  What I want most is for the truth to be known, and to go down in history accurately, so future generations can learn from our errors, rather than repeat them.  I think this is vital.  Can you imagine if our history books didn't accurately recount the Revolution, the Civil War, the Holocaust, the Civil Rights Movement?  What kind of messes would we make today without having their foundation to look back on?  The people who come after us deserve no less.  I'm on the side of truth, whether it bolsters or hurts my political "side."  Jesus said the truth sets us free (John 8:32).  It is the most important thing in the world!  So, while I do have beliefs and opinions about everything, I also have a lot of missing pieces, and I'm not satisfied I know the truth.  I refuse to get into a discussion that follows anybody's narrative right now, unless it is backed by facts.   I want future generations of Americans to know the truth about the 2020 election and the fallout.  Luke 8:17 says, For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open. 

     It isn't difficult to know why I might have political disappointment (people on all sides of all these issues have some levels of disappointments in different politicians).  I also referred to online Bible teachers and high profile Christians who have disappointed me.  As people have tried to respond to things, I have felt several of these well-known believers have spoken too soon, followed certain narratives, and made unsubstantiated assumptions.  This disappointed me.  I think they have a level of influence that should require them to be more careful than that.  I felt very let down by one of my favorite online Bible teachers by an impromptu video he made while the events were still happening.  I think he should have waited until the dust settled a little before trying to make a lot of commentary.  He tried to be biblical and unbiased, but he operated under unsubstantiated assumptions, and followed some popular but unproven narratives.  He redeemed himself a few days later with a much better video (not on this topic, but still showing that he intends to do biblical videos).  I've been especially disappointed in a certain Christian musician whom I had previously really respected.  This gentleman has many beautiful worship videos on YouTube, some of which I had previously shared.  He, himself is Canadian, so our nation's issues don't directly concern him.  I can handle fellow-Americans disagreeing with me.  But for someone who isn't even an American to lecture us about how our nation should be is like a twelve-year-old babysitter giving parenting advice to the mother for whom she is babysitting.  This musician's opinions came across as very hurtful to me as an American.  I don't criticize his country, and I'd like the same courtesy from him, particularly if he is catering his music ministry to Christian people in different nations (including the US).  I have stopped following this talented brother in the Lord, because his remarks hurt too much.  People need to be careful.  

      In spite of political and celebrity disappointment, the letdowns in personal friendships have been the most difficult.  I highly doubt this applies to anyone reading this, but this week has required a lot of patience and peacemaking on the part of myself and my husband in some relationships with others, and it has been quite draining.  Our brothers and sisters are worth fighting for, but it's still draining, and can be hurtful.  

     Part of the reason I don't want to misspeak about this is that my husband and I are missionaries, and we want to stand for Christ first and foremost, and don't want someone of different political views to be turned away from the message of the gospel.  Politics matter, but they are not as high up on the ladder of importance as our faith in the Lord, or our witness for Him.  

     How does God want me to respond to things?  Politically, everyone needs to follow their own conscience.  Right now, I'm choosing to rest in Jesus.  I'm so thankful that there is no searching of His understanding. (Isaiah 40:28).  I'm choosing to make the gospel and my ministry the focus, getting the truth of the Bible out to everyone God grants me an audience with.  The Apostle Paul said in Acts 20:24, However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.

     As far as disappointment with others, that can be even more difficult, but I think the answer is the same.  Focus on Jesus.  He is the only one who won't let us down.  I remember a popular song at Christian skate nights in the 80s and 90s was Steven Curtis Chapman's song Tell Me.  The chorus says, Tell me, tell me, who are you depending on; Tell me who do you believe.  You lost your faith in so many people, but is your faith in who it should be? There's only One who keeps all of His promises; He is the only solid ground.  Let Jesus be the One you are trusting to lift you up, 'cause He'll never let you down.  Such a timely message for today, even though that song is over thirty years old.  Romans 10:11 says, Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.

     And with that, I will close for now...but not for long!  The Lord bless you in our nation's journey forward.  

No comments:

Post a Comment