Sunday, August 8, 2021

At the end of the day

     One of the common phrases people use today kind of annoys me, but not really for any particular reason.  I've really only noticed people using it as a phrase over the last couple of years.  That is "At the end of the day..."  This is synonymous with phrases like "When it's all said and done..." "Ultimately..."  or "When it comes right down to it..."  There is nothing wrong with any of these phrases.  I just get irrationally annoyed with At the end of the day...  I always just hear that and think, "Just say what you're going to say!"  But that's my idiosyncrasy!  

     When you think about the end of the day, what comes to mind?  I think about enjoying a quiet evening at home.  All the day's concerns are now behind me.  Maybe my husband and I have just eaten dinner, and I'm washing dishes.  Or maybe I'm reading a book.  I might be reflecting on my day and writing in my journal.  Maybe these peaceful thoughts about the day's end are why I don't particularly like using it as a catchphrase to describe how something ultimately is.  

     I like to think of the evening as a time of victory.  The end of the day should give each of us pause to think.  We've made it through another day.  I love the lyrics from the first verse of the worship song 10.000 Reasons  ...whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me, let me be singing when the evening comes.  Well, at this time of day, it is evening, and hopefully, you can sing for joy in the Lord, just as the song suggests.  I remember, several years ago, I went through a difficult patch at a job.  I temporarily had a difficult, irrational supervisor who could be difficult and even unnerving (it later came out that this woman practiced witchcraft).  I would sing that verse from 10,000 Reasons as I drove to work, and I would sing for joy and victory as I drove home.  

     It is going to appear that I'm changing the subject, but I'm not.  Bear with me.  

     How do you keep yourself out of situations with major gross sin in your life that needs to be dealt with?  We have all had times where we faced things about ourselves that we needed to examine and confess, possibly making amends with those we had wronged.  He who conceals his transgressions will not prosper, But he who confesses and forsakes them will find compassion. (Proverbs 28:13).  We're not perfect, not even after salvation, so it stands to reason we might need to do that.  I talked about how to do it in my November 19, 2020 post, Inventory.  That was the second of a three-part series I did at the time, and if you haven't, I highly recommend going back and reading those.  However, once you have made that step, there is a way to limit the major experiences with big issues.  This is to daily take personal inventory.  Examine our lives in the small, daily things, and nip it in the bud, before it becomes big.  Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. (Psalm 139:23-24).  

     At the end of the day, I like to take personal inventory.  I have a special journal that asks these questions, and I recommend that kind of reflection.  These steps are a good move toward staying on the right path.  And it's best to do it at the end of the day...

1) Write the date, the answer the following:

2) How am I feeling right now?

3)  What did I do rightly today?  

4) What strength did I exercise?  

5)  What did I do wrongly today? 

6) What character defect did I demonstrate?  

7) To whom do I need to make amends?  

8)  What are my prayer requests?  

     As you daily take inventory at the end of the day, you will be able to evaluate (with God's help) how you are doing.  You will start to see some common strengths and weaknesses in yourself, and begin to ask for God's help.  You will see the mixed bag that is you: your strengths and weaknesses, just like everyone else has (None is righteous, no, not one. --Romans 3:10,  ...each has his own gift from God, one of one kind and one of another--First Corinthians 7:7).  It is only you and God looking at it, so be honest.  Be real.  Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal the truth to you.  If you realize you sinned against someone, make it right!  This is biblical!  Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.  It is much easier when you are daily taking inventory of yourself, instead of letting it become something huge that needs major attention in your life.  Keeping short accounts with the Lord and others is so vital if we are going to have effective Christian lives.  It's the best thing to do at the end of the day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment