Sunday, March 10, 2019

Totally Candid

*Please note when reading the following that I am speaking candidly about my experiencesl.  I have not named specific people or institutions involved.  


                It’s been a hard week.  To explain why, I need to back up…

                Last August, Walter and I moved from South Dakota to New Mexico.  It was hard to uproot, but we had never really felt as if the Midwest was permanent for us.  It didn’t quite feel like home (although we made many lifelong friends, and greatly miss our church family, neighbors and coworkers there).  We are both Southwesterners.  Arriving in Albuquerque was like coming home in a lot of ways. 
Our engagement photo, 2015, in Yucca Valley, CA.  We are true southwesterners and desert rats!

           
Finding a church was hard.  But we did.  In fact, just today, we became members of Monterey Baptist Church.  The process of visiting churches in this vast city was overwhelming to us.  It took an emotional toll, while all the time, we missed our church in South Dakota.  But God led us, and here we are.


                The reason we had moved out here was that Walter had gotten into the grad program here.  I got a job at the University’s preschool.  It looked like a good situation.  On top of that, Walter got us an apartment in student family housing.  We paid for the entire year there.

                The university didn’t end up working out for us.  In my humble opinion, that place is insane.  Both Walter and I ran into the same madness.  I know this sounds dramatic to say, but it’s as if Satan himself runs that university.  We ran into true wickedness.  Both of us concluded this was not where we belonged.  Walter is now enrolled in Liberty University online.

                The hard part was that I have always received rave reviews at work, both in California and South Dakota.  I was constantly praised and promoted.  However, the university's preschool was on the verge of firing me when I resigned.  No matter what I did, I was somehow violating some crazy policy that no one had bothered to tell me.  I told a group of students, “If you put your shoes on, we’ll go outside.”  I was told that was “threatening” the children, because I said an “if/you” statement.  It was this kind of madness that caused me to just need to leave.  I have naturally low blood pressure, but it was actually high when I worked there!  I could go on and on about the craziness that reigns sovereign there, but I won’t.  I want to forget it. 

                I was reeling from the experience.  My confidence had been shaken after two and a half months working there.  I didn’t know what I’d do next.  Two days after I resigned, I received an email from a Christian School at which I had applied before coming out here.  There was a sudden opening.  This was definitely a God thing!  I went in for an interview, and was hired!  I have been teaching the 5th grade class since November. 


                Even though we had paid for the entire year at the student family housing, they told us in February that we had three weeks to move out, as Walter was no longer a student (he hadn't been for a few months, but it took them that long to tell us this!).  That was scary.  We did find a place in time, and God really had provided for the move.  We are happily settling into a new place in a better part of town.  All connections with the university are completely dissolved.  Thank you, Lord!

I have loved this job teaching at the Christian school.  I have learned so much, and really felt I was doing a good job.  It built my confidence, and also gave me an opportunity to impact these students.  Two in particular are very special to me.  One of these two boys received Christ in our class shortly after I arrived.  It has been a joy to see him grow.  The other one has a lot of emotional hurts in his life, and also struggles in school, and I have really felt God wanted me to encourage him and help him.  I believe I have done that in God’s strength.  I think I’ve done a good job for all the students in the class.

A few things have come up.  I have a very manipulative student.  This student twists things when she doesn’t get her way.  Her grandmother (the legal guardian), is constantly confronting me for weird things that never happened.  Both the girl and her grandma blame me for any grades she gets that are lower than an A.  There is no responsibility taken.  I’ve been kind, but firm.  Anyway, this grandmother went and told the principal some things about me.  Some were misrepresentations of things I said, others were out and out lies.  The principal chose to believe her, even though I shared what had actually happened.  I’m telling you, these manipulators will stop at nothing.  It’s happened to me before. 

Anyway, we had our performance reviews, and this required me to meet with the principal and vice-principal.  The vice-principal had only kind things to say about me and how I’m doing.  The principal wasn’t so encouraging, having written all of the lies the manipulative girl and her grandma told about me on the evaluation, even though I had shared the truth.  The principal gave a few helpful suggestions, but most of what was said shows that my teaching really hasn't been observed very much at all.  I politely listened, a few times clarifying the truth (which, of course, made no difference).  Everywhere else I have worked, staff write their own evaluations in addition to the boss', and the principal is required to keep our evaluations with their evaluations of us in our file.  Not here.  Anyway, this was where the bombshell hit.  They are not going to renew my contract for next year.  I still have the job through the end of the school year (May), but that’s it.  They claim that “the main reason” (meaning there are other, smaller reasons) is because my college degree isn’t recognized by their accreditation.  Long story about that.  That in itself isn’t offensive.  That’s simply a fact.  But the implication of this performance review really hurts. 

I felt numb after this.  I feel very misunderstood.  I feel that, once again, the manipulators have won.  I also feel like there’s some curse on me in New Mexico with employment.  I know there isn’t.  It just feels like it.  I’m really hurt to not be able to continue this job that I have enjoyed so much.  It’s been hard to go back every day after that, pretending all is normal when I want to cry. But I know God has given me an open door for the next two months.  Nothing can change the fact that God provided this job right when I needed it.  I was encouraged today by Revelations 3:8, “I have set before you an open door, that no one can shut.  I know you have little strength, but you have kept My word, and have not denied My name.” 

I feel purposeless.  I don’t know what to do.  To be honest, I am very, very tired.  I am more than tired, I’m weary.  I also have deeper longings. 

All my life, the main thing I have wanted was to be a mother and homemaker.  God has given me so much beyond. I’ve been a missionary in Africa and the United States.  I’ve mentored youth who’ve gone into the ministry.  I’ve led junior high Bible studies.  I’ve taught at AWANA conferences.  I’ve taken teens on mission trips.  I've taught Good News Clubs.  I’ve seen God work in some amazing ways.  I don’t regret any of it.  But ultimately, what I wanted most in all the world was to marry a wonderful Christian man, and to have kids.  I’ve done the first one. 
Child evangelism at the fair
Another long story that I won’t go into is that I faced some very hurtful rejections when I was in high school and college.  One was from a young man I thought I’d marry.  The pain from that left me with a lot of fear.  Not bitterness or unforgiveness, but it colored the lens by which I saw reality.  I felt very insecure being single, as if everyone could tell just by looking at me that I was single because I had been rejected.  Well-meaning people sometimes made hurtful comments, such as, "When I was your age, I was already married with three kids!"  Ouch.  I didn’t marry Walter until I was thirty-three.  God sovereignly saved us for each other and brought us together in His timing.  I wouldn’t trade my life with him for anything.  We have been married four years now.  I don’t always like to share that particular detail with people, because I don’t want them to look at me and know I married as old as I did.  Somehow, the insecurities I felt when I was single still linger, and I don’t want people to read those past rejections on me.  But that’s wrong.  My story is God’s story.  I know so many wonderful people who never married at all!  I've known others who married older than I did.  Thirty-three isn't ancient anyway.  I'm glad it was then and not sooner, because I truly believe in God's timing on this.  Marriage shouldn’t be what defines any of us.  This goes to show how strong the power of those rejections still are to me.  God had plans for me to do ministry in my 20’s.  I needed to be single to be effective at those particular things.  Everyone has their own story.  There is not "right" age to marry.  I wish the body of Christ were better at supporting each other in both singleness and marriage, whichever place God has a person.  No one really helped me see that I should treasure those single years.  Everyone instead told me they were a curse or disease that needed to be cured.  Sadly, I believed them, feeling that way myself.  I'm delighted to be married to the man God had for me all along.  I wish I had cherished those single years more, though, because they were truly remarkable. 
My ministry prayer card from my single years of US mission work

Walter and I enjoy marriage greatly, but so far have not been blessed with children.  It’s harder when I see people posting pictures of sonograms on Facebook (which, no offence, I think is a bit tacky.  No one can read it.  I thought of posting my gallbladder X-ray and seeing what people said!).  But the truth is, my opinion about sonograms being tacky is probably motivated by jealousy.  I also get pressure from people.  “When are you going to have kids?”  I even had someone over Christmas tell me my life was empty and meaningless without kids.  I know that’s not true, but it hurts.  A lot. The answer I give is, "I don't know when we'll have kids, but we sure enjoy trying!"  I figure if they ask a vulgar question, they can expect a vulgar answer.
gallbladder x-ray

     Now that I’ve lost my dream job for next year, I’m really struggling with all of this.  Walter and I have some plans for the future that leave me encouraged.  Please pray for us as we work out these plans that we believe God gave us.  Mainly, though, we need God to work.  Right now, the biggest thing I need is emotional and spiritual rest.  I need to find my purpose and fulfillment in Christ.  It’s easier to say it than do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment