Friday, March 22, 2019

Tightrope

     I have often felt like I'm walking on a tightrope, and this week, more than usual.  I'll explain what I mean by that, and perhaps you'll relate.


     I teach in a Christian School.  I love being able to teach not only math, science and history, but also the Bible.  I'm thankful to live in a nation that allows private institutions, with the freedom to teach about our faith.  I get very frustrated when I hear people saying that Christian schools "indoctrinate" students, or worse, accuse us of "brainwashing".  

     Every person on this planet has a worldview of some kind.  That worldview informs that person's actions behavior, decisions, and life.  There is no such thing as a neutral worldview.  Public schools (which I have worked for, by the way) also present a worldview.  Their worldview is secular humanism.  In many cases, no validity is given to the other side.  The Theory of Evolution is taught as if it's pure gospel, when there is no scientific evidence to support it (by the way, off subject, but for something to actually be scientific, it must be observable, measurable, and repeatable...and evolution is none of those things.  I don't have time in this post for a long explanation about that, but thought I'd mention it).  How is this not "brainwashing"?  I am certainly not implying that every teacher in the public school system has an agenda, or that every public school is brainwashing kids.  As I said, I have worked in public schools.  Most teachers are fantastic, and truly love their students.  Many believers are being that godly presence by working in public schools.  My point in saying this is that every institution has a worldview, and that if people are going to get after Christian schools for having a biblical point of view, they need to equally get after public schools for their secular humanistic views.  

     I already said that nobody can have a neutral worldview.  It just isn't possible.  Everyone believes in something.  However, many people in America today try very hard to avoid this.  They try to make everything sound neutral and equal.  I've faced this issue this week.  One of my students has a very diverse religious background.  His mother (single mother) is Catholic, but not terribly devout.  His good friends are Mormon (LDS) and take him to church on a regular basis.  Then he attends our evangelical Christian school.  He is very confused.  I tell my students constantly that they are allowed to ask questions.  They are allowed to disagree with me (after all, only the Holy Spirit can bring them to faith in Christ, and it has to be real on their part, not something I can bring about).  They just aren't allowed to be disrespectful.  Unfortunately, this boy is incredibly disrespectful.  He constantly challenges me when I am teaching Bible.  Lately, he has been very vocal in talking about Mormon doctrines.  I have told him as kindly as I can that Mormonism is a different faith than what we believe at our school, and that if he wants to talk about it with me during break, he can.  He has never taken me up on this offer, which has led me to believe that the issue isn't very important to him.  He just wants to disrupt in class, but not have a real conversation about it when given the chance.  When I have gently shut him down in class, he has gotten rude and accused me of "judging religions".  That is silly, as I have only stated that Mormons believe differently, not that they are terrible, evil people.  Mormons would agree with me that our faiths are different.  

     I have never, ever bad-mouthed any Mormon people at all.  I have known many wonderful people of different faiths, including Hindus, Muslims, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Mormons...not to mention different branches of Christianity.  These people have blessed and enriched my life.  BUT, just because they're great people does not mean they're going to Heaven.  Jesus said very clearly in John 14:6, "I am the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the father, except through Me."  This verse is very clear.  No one--NOT ONE PERSON--comes to God without Jesus Christ.  God made the way for anyone to be saved.  ANYONE!  Any person can turn to Jesus Christ for salvation.  Romans 10:13 says, "Whosever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."  God made it possible for everyone.  Unfortunately, not everyone takes God up on His offer.  As Christians, we need to be reaching others with that good news!  

     For over two-hundred years, our nation has facilitated people's choice of faith.  The United States is a country where religious liberty has been of foremost importance.  This is important.  If religion were outlawed, as has been the case in many regimes throughout history, we would have to operate underground.  I am so thankful that isn't the case.  On the other hand, if we were like the days of Constantine, where Christianity was the only legal religion, we would come to the point where they eventually came to.  Corruption.  Insincere faith.  No, the US has done it the right way.  People need to be free to choose Christ or not.  It has to be real.  I'm so thankful our nation allows that choice.  In order for that choice to work, people need to be free to choose other religions as well.  This is why we have other religions in our country.  Often, these religion's followers leave persecution in their own country to find freedom here in the US.  

     This student of mine has been very disrespectful.  He wrote a very hate-filled essay about me, and how I "judge religions" when I'm too stupid to know anything about it.  This is shocking, considering all I said about Mormonism is that they are different from our school's faith. Even saying that was at his initiative.  I've never taught a class lesson about Mormons.  I have never brought it up except in response to his disruptions about it.  He also brought his Book of Mormon to school and tried to interrupt our history lesson with a lesson he wanted to teach the class from the book.  Ten years old and he thinks he can take over from the teacher.  I kindly told him to please put it away.  He refused.  I sent him to the office, where the Principal told him not to bring it anymore.  I had to talk to his mother about all the disrespect.  Her response disappointed me.  The gist of it was, "We teach our children that all religions are the same, and that a loving God would never condemn anyone to hell.  He believes you have said all Mormons are bad people, and he is defending his friends.  I'm proud of him, but wish he would do it more respectfully."  Whoa!  

     This mother's response reveals that he has chosen to take my simple statement that Mormons believe differently than Evangelicals (which Mormons would agree with, in fact!), and run about twenty miles with it.  I don't even know his Mormon friends.  I don't even know their names.  I would never have said they were bad people.  Nothing I have said has been unkind or untrue.  I have even told this boy he was free to disagree with me.  You can be as kind and gracious as you want, but some people are still going to take things completely wrongly.  

     Sadly, this woman's response also echoes many Americans' sentiments.  But it's not true.  All religions are NOT the same.  Many religions completely contradict each other.  They can't all be true.  That would be like going to the bank and asking to withdraw five million dollars.  The teller looks at your account and says, "I'm sorry, but you only have thirty dollars in your account.  You can't withdraw five million."  And then you were to say, "Well, that's your truth, but my truth is just as valid, and my truth says I have five million, so please give it to me."  It doesn't work like that!  And if it wouldn't work with tangible things like money, it also wouldn't work with religions.  There can only be one truth.  

     One thing this mom also said was a veiled rebuke about how she wants her kids to "respect all religions".  The implication was that I don't respect all religions.  Here is my response to that.  Yes, we should be respectful to everyone.  But respecting doesn't mean we have to agree with them or say they're right.  Right now, my class is reading a biography about Amy Carmichael.  Amy spent much of her life as a missionary to India.  She was an amazing woman of God.  She didn't go over to India and disrespect their religious beliefs.  She was very respectful, and tried to adapt to their culture.  But she didn't say they were right.  She was there to win them to Christ, and she did!  So many people are in Heaven today because of her witness.  She is a great example.  She respected, but didn't compromise the truth.  First Peter 3:15 says, "...be ready to give an answer for the hope that is in you, with meekness..."  We're to be ready with the truth, but present it humbly.  I'm not perfect, but to the best of my ability, that is what I have tried to do with my class.  Yet, this boy and his mom are responding as if I'm so arrogant and mean.  That's how Bible-believers are being painted by our "neutral" American society.  
Amy Carmichael

     And so, I feel like I'm walking the tightrope.  I'm on that fine line.  I don't want to be unkind or hurtful.  I don't want to speak disrespectfully of other faiths.  However, I also don't want to compromise the truth.  I never want to do that.  If I am to err, I would rather err on the side of speaking the truth than tip-toeing around it in the name of gracious neutrality.  Americans value graciousness, which is a good thing.  Unfortunately, I think the truth is often sacrificed on the altar of graciousness.  Yes, people should be free to choose their faith.  Yes, people should be respected, regardless of their choice.  But they should also hear the truth.  This life is the only chance anyone has to accept Jesus Christ.  Once a person dies, it is too late.  I don't want anyone to be separated from God for eternity.  I want everyone to know Christ in His true glory.  That's why I do what I do.  I'm not "ignorant" or "judging".  I'm certainly not "hateful".  I don't hate anyone, and it bothers me that we live in a society where disagreeing is viewed as hate.  The implication is that I would gleefully torture someone I disagree with.  That's how we're often painted.  But it isn't reality.  I would never harm anyone.  I don't wish anyone ill will.  I simply hold to the truth, at the expense of everything that doesn't line up with it.  If you are a faithful believer who is speaking the truth against opposition, you are not alone.  I hope this encourages you.  Press on!

2 comments: